Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Great Swim!

I woke up early this morning to make up for the run I missed yesterday. But the weather Gods didn't cooperate - it was a virtual deluge of rain accompanied by dramatic thunderstorms. To tell the truth, I wasn't too disappointed. I appreciated the extra sleep!

Tonight, I had a great swim. The training session was pretty straight-forward... 100m warm-up, 5x50 drills, 1200m non-stop, and a 100m cool-down. For the 1200m swim, I decided to simply focus on maintaining a steady rhythm and a low heart-rate. I didn't care about speed, just stamina. And it was great!

The distance was no problem, and I wasn't too winded at the end. I finished it in exactly 27 minutes. The race distance will be 1500m (count on 1600m for 'veering'), and my goal is to finish in under 30 minutes. Tonight's swim demonstrated that I could certainly push the pace a little faster without much difficulty, and still have the stamina I need to easily complete the distance. Cool! I'm sure it will be very different open water, but for now I'll feel good about another step in the right direction.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment