Friday, July 3, 2009

Trifecta

Tuesday night was a real killer. Janelle put me through my regular personal torture (I mean training) - including a special emphasis on upper body work. Then I went to Highland Park for group swim training, which almost killed me! I enjoyed the strength training, but was really spent by the time I finished swimming. I finished all the drills, and was most thankful.

Wednesday, I had an easy day... 35 minutes on the treadmill and then steamroom / jacuzzi. Not too bad...

Thursday night was another double-header. I started with 35 minutes on a spin-cycle. Since all the spinners were being used in the main gym, I had to go up to the spin class instead. OMG... they work you hard up there! After enduring 35 minutes of cycling in all sorts of stances, I headed down for a strength training session with Janelle. She had a special workout planned for me (an endurance session, no less), which consisted of 8 sequential circuits of: [pull-ups - 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest], [push-ups - 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest], [bench presses - 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest], and [leg-raises - 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest]. Unfortunately, I kinked my neck on the fourth set of pull-ups, so we had to adjust the workout accordingly. After finishing this round of torture, we moved on to the regular full-body strength training workout. It was especially difficult because every movement hurt my neck, but I made it through it! Perseverence pays off!

Friday was a swim session - and given how stiff my neck was this morning, I didn't think I was going to make it! I could barely turn my head when I got out of bed! But after handfuls of ibuprofen and a relentless will to persevere, I completed a full round of swim training (200m warm-up, 10x50m drills, 4x125m sprints, and 200m cool-down). I have to admit that I urped up some of my lunch during the sprints, but I did finish! Afterwards, I enjoyed a steam & jacuzzi followed by a 90 minute massage at the spa. It was worth every minute!

This weekend includes a long bike and a long run. Wish me luck! I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment