Saturday, July 25, 2009

Mini Tri

Today was my first experience putting all the events together in one training session. I headed back downtown this morning to Ohio Street Beach, and met up with the Team In Training folks to do a full-blown mini-triathlon. It included a 15 minute swim, 30 minute bike ride, and 20 minute run. This is far short of the real deal, but it gave me an opportunity to try my transitions, and get a pretty good workout at the same time. And it was fun!

The swim in Lake Michigan went much better than last time. No panicking this time, but my swim still isn't nearly as strong as I would like it to be. I will practice several more times in open water before the real event to make sure I'm ready to go.

The bike was great! I'm becoming more and more comfortable on it, and I was able to see first-hand the advantage it gives me. I was passing people on the entire route, and really enjoyed it!

The run was OK, but I found that I became winded pretty quickly. It will be interesting to see how I do after a 1 mile swim and a 25 mile bike! But my pace was pretty good, and I finished without having to walk at any point.

The transitions were no problem. I'm glad I had the chance to practice, and look forward to being able to do it one more time. Now I know what to expect!

Tomorrow is a 75 minute bike ride...

No comments:

Post a Comment