Saturday, July 11, 2009

Train through the pain...

This neck issue is definitely a problem. I've had this many times before, and there is no telling how long it will last. Every movement causes sharp pain, and my mobility is somewhat limited (although I've had much worse mobility in the past, so I should count my blessings). The good news is I can still train. It's just not as fun.

Thursday night, I went for a 40 minute run through some beautiful paths in the Half Day Forest Preserve. When I first started, each step caused a jolt of pain through my neck. It was very uncomfortable, but tolerable. However, as the run progressed, and I sort of lost myself in the beauty of the trails - which I had never been to before - my neck loosened up somewhat and I was able to focus more on the run than the pain.

I did learn one lesson about training in an early Midwestern summer evening... you've got to love the bugs - especially the small flying variety. You experience them in every way... lodging in your eye, plastering themselves all over your sweaty forehead like the windshield of a car, and of course sling-shotting themselves into the back of your throat. Yummm... protein! For the clever ones that don't end up kamikaze-style somewhere on your body, they achieve the ultimate prize of a tasty snack. Yes, the mosquitoes will get you even when you are running 6 to 7 mph. Joy. I have to say though, that it wasn't too bad. The scenery was beautiful, the weather was nice, and it made me forget about the pain in my neck for a while.

Afterwards, I spent a long time stretching in the steam room and jacuzzi at the gym across from the preserve. That also helped. But alas, as I left the gym, it didn't take long before my neck started seizing up yet again. This thing is not going away any time soon.

Yesterday morning I awoke to severe pain and stiff neck yet again. I'm just going to have to get used to this for a while. I'm sure I'll adjust, but don't expect me to stop whining about it. :-)

My training program for last night was supposed to be swimming. But since I didn't get out of work until after 8pm, and I was worn out from a long day of conference calls and neck pain, I decided to go out for dinner instead. I think it was a good choice.

Today, I'll bike for 60 minutes, and then probably head to the gym to make up for the swim session I missed last night. Maybe I'll work in a massage, too. We'll see.

Regardless, I will get back on track... and I WILL train through the pain!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment